Friday, February 15, 2013

February 6, 2013



The Stage for the Temple Fair
BEIJING BLUE!

The skies cleared, everyone breathed a huge sigh of relief (literally), and then the snow started falling!  Sometimes you just can't win but I will actually take the snow I intensely dislike over the smog.  This past week we had our Temple Fair at BCIS.  Temple Fairs originally were held in the temples.  They were a time to celebrate the new year and to appreciate the Chinese culture.  There are games, lots of food, entertainment, shopping (that might be more modern) and they are very crowded.  I found the crafts incredible.  The snake below is actually candy that a man blew like glass.  It was something I had never seen before.  Each of the shapes was beautiful!  They also made candy lollipops that were quite intricate.  It was amazing how they made them so quickly and they were so beautiful.  Being the Year of the Snake, there were quite a few snakes grazing the gym!  
Candy Snake with other animals in the
background.

My favorite entertainment was the drummers and the dragons.  You might remember precision Chinese drumming from the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics.  There were four beautiful women preforming the symbolic drumming.  It was something to see.  It was almost erotic in its beauty.  Anyway - during the drumming the big dragons that you probably associate with Chinese New Year were circulating through the crowd.  They were also beautiful and gave you goose bumps moving to the beat of the drums.

The whole atmosphere was exciting and charged with children and puppets and face painting etc. I hope to go to a real traditional Temple Fair but not sure I can fit it in this year.  Might have to wait for the year of the Horse!  We will be gone most of the week during Chinese New Year.  One of the traditional foods is a specific dumpling which we are going to learn to make on Friday night.  I am a bit excited - I will have to take pictures.  

The other highlight last week was an invitation to the Irish Embassy.  I was beyond excited, but, in the end it was a bit of a let down..... The invitation was beautiful. The event was much more Chinese than I had expected.  Two of our students were preforming. They are ranked internationally for Irish dancing and will be competing in the World Championships in Boston in March. I am pretty sure that is why we were invited.  The Irish Ball is on March 16th and I am looking forward to that although it is formal and do you think I brought anything black tie to Beijing?  Then again - that just means I need to buy something! The reception was held in the Ambassador's residence which is beautiful and we met several people which was nice.  

Here is a picture of our two students.  Next post will be Chinese New Year!  Miss you all and please keep in touch.  CNY is on Saturday and then off to Cambodia on Sunday.

Andi





No comments:

Post a Comment